Croque Monsieur Thermomix recipe – the ridiculously French one so that you can pretend you’re seating at a Parisian café reading Sartre
If you associate croque monsieur with a simple ham and cheese toastie, think again!
A proper croque monsieur, like the one you find in all good boulangeries in France, is made of baked ham and cheese and smothered in a velvety, smooth bechamel sauce.
It is so easy and comforting, makes for super quick dinner and is so damn delicious!
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, the next step is the croque madame – same recipe, just with a fried egg on top.
* To ensure Momo & the Gang remains completely free to use, this post may contain affiliate links.
Active time: 5 minutes – Total time: 25 minutes – COST: £5.58
- 500ml milk – £0.32
- 40g salted butter – £0.26
- 60g plain flour – £0.03
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg – £0.05
- 150g grated gruyere cheese – £2.02
- 8 slices white bread – £0.30
- Dijon mustard – £0.10
- 4 slices ham (not wafer thin) – £2.50
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Add 500g milk, 40g butter, 60g plain flour, salt & pepper to taste to the Thermomix bowl. Cook for 8 minutes / 90C / speed 4. That’s your bechamel sauce.
- In the meantime, place 4 slices of bread on a baking sheet. Brush with Dijon mustard.
- Spread a good dollop of bechamel, top with a slice of ham, and some grated gruyere.
- Top with another piece of bread. Smother in bechamel sauce and sprinkle with more gruyere cheese.
- Cover the 4 croque monsieurs with foil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, remove the foil and cook for a further 5 minutes until the topping is slightly brown.
Serve warm with a simple green salad.
Delicious. Bon appetit x